(Part 1 of 2)
This comparison is from the standpoint of iEye Captain, and is not meant to say that one is better than the other; both the ZephIR and the IRTrans have been widely and successfully used for many years for many other purposes.
That said, there are factors you should know when picking one or the other for iEye Captain and EyeTV.
Features common to both the ZephIR and the IRTRans:
- Both devices are totally reliable - no crashes or missed events
- Both developers are responsive to support inquiries
- Both developers continue to update their software to add features
- Both have been around for a long time and have a wide user base
- Both offer Applescript support
What is better on the ZephIR side: (Updated 3/2/2007)
- Much cheaper-- now only USD$49.95
- Located in the US - closer to most for support, shipping, etc.
- Library of remote controls located right inside the app - if your device is there, you may not have to program the codes for it
- NEW the developer will program your remote for you -- you don't even have to send it to him! (he uses publicly available universal remotes)
- support forum for communicating with other users
What is worse on the ZephIR side:
- More limited infrared transmitting range (though you can add a USB extension cable if necessary)
- MUCH more difficult and time consuming to "learn" a remote -- though you will not have to now that the developer is offering to program your remote for you. Also, the code library is continually expanding. Once it is programmed, it works flawlessly
- Older and less user friendly software, web site and documentation
- In the current version the learning part of the software is buggy (though you won't need that part of the software if the developer learns the codes for you).
ON TO PAGE 2 FOR IRTRANS PROS & CONS AND FINAL WORD...
BACK TO FAQ INDEX